Tuesday, September 21, 2010

History

As it turns out, after spending a day stuck to a keyboard, you really start getting interested in the history of super glue. Since my friends keep telling me I need to stop pranking people and telling, I decided, hey why not tell you guys the history of super glue.

The actual name from the chemical we all know as super (and/or crazy) glue is in fact called, cyanoacrylates. Yeah, real tongue twister. As it turns out it was discovered in 1942, but was quickly abandoned because, face it, it sticks to EVERYTHING. Well about ten years later a couple of researchers saw it's value and thus we have it today.

An interesting fact about super glue, is during the Vietnam war it was used as a wound adhesive because doctors could not sew up patients fast enough. It was fast, effective and dried over wounds. I know, pretty disgusting, but at the same time I have to admit I might be trying it the next time I have a paper cut.
(Those boogers hurt!)


Another interesting fact is a radio station had heard about super glues and decided to put them to the test at a local junk yard. Among the super glues tested were many of the National Brands on the market today. The test was to hold a hanging car from a crane and the Super Glue Corporation product was the best! (Some of competitor's currently have "hanging things" like people, & television sets, but nothing compares to the strength of hanging cars!) Amazing right, HERE'S a picture for ya.

So with this new found knowledge, I have a feeling I'm going to be very mean to Mr. Clean for doing this to me. *evil grin*. (Yeah, I'm a sucker for punishment.)

You got to love Librarian-Hood...

No comments:

Post a Comment