Saturday, June 12, 2010

Bluetooth vs Director

Alright, so our library has just installed all these new fancy bluetooth scanners, and headsets. Well, our director is what you would call a non-technological person. So my job as the IT/Ref librarian in-tells that I teach her how to use them. Like I've said, not technologically advanced.

Director: "Why isn't this plugged in?"

Me: "You don't have to."

Director: "Why not, if it's not connected to the computer I can't... what did you call it at the last board meeting... communicate with it?"

Me: "It goes through radio waves."

She gives the lipped 'O' and sets to scanning books for the first time. Falls in love with it and goes on a book scanning rampage. Next day, I'm busy behind my reference desk, working on yet another online reference question when the Director comes up looking a bit bed-ragged. Looking up, I ask, "What's up?"

"Ref! THIS THING DOESN'T WORK!!!!"

I look at the little yellow bluetooth hand-held laser and ask in a monotone, "Did you take it over to the computer and then press the trigger."

A moments hesitation and then she disappears, and reappears all glowing happily as she says, "IT WORKED!!!!"

You got to love Librarian-Hood....

No comments:

Post a Comment