Friday, June 4, 2010

Mrs. 2

Alright, funny story of the day. We have 12 computers that patrons are allowed to us in our lab, all of which are numbered. As you can guess we check-out our computers by their number and give each patron a stub that tells them which one. Now our patrons each have a six digit number on the card so we can identify them. Now here comes one of our patrons we all nicknamed Mrs. 2.

Everyday we would assign her a different computer, but she would ALWAYS go to number two. One day my assistant came complaining about it, since I'm all the way across the library from the computer lab. So I make my way through the stack (or reference to book shelves) and into the lab. Coming up to Mrs. 2 I ask, "Ma'am, is this the computer assigned to you?"

"Yes." Mrs. 2 says.

"May I see your tab."

The hands it to me and gets back to her work. I look at it and see the assigned computer if seven. Tapping her on the shoulder, I say, "Mrs. 2, the computer you need to be on is seven."

"No it isn't."

Out of curiosity since I hate reports and thus procrastinate, I ask, "Why do you say that?"

She shows me her tab and points to the two at the end of her six digit patron number. I almost wanted to bust out laughing there, but instead I say, "Ma'am, that's your patron number."

"Two is my patron number! Who's one?!"

My assistant snorts, as I proceed to explain the six digit index we use. After a half hour of arguing not about the computer, but more about the fact her patron index number isn't one, she finally relinquishes the computer and leaves the library fuming. From that day on she was known as Mrs. 2, and her partiality to the number one.

You got to love Librarian-Hood

No comments:

Post a Comment