Friday, June 11, 2010

Never Be the Last in a Library...

As the reference librarian, I have a very full life, most of it spent in my little oasis of desk, books, and tan folders. But occasionally, I am picked to close the library on our late days, meaning around nine at night. I have no problem doing it, though I do get picked for it quite often. So that means I work at the front desk, another meaning, no work! Or at least not the constant ref work I always have.

Around seven all the other librarians, assistants, volunteers, and excreta go home, while I sit there with my feet up in the assistants chair reading. It's almost closing, all the computers a idling, and I start getting the library cleaned up and ready for the next day, reports, stats, and everything done. Keys in hand, lock door to conference rooms, offices, computer lab(s). Finally the bathrooms, come and like regulation I knock, listen, and then shut the doors, go down the hall, lock the hall(s) and go back to my office to finish up last minute stuff.

As I'm about to shut off the main lights, I hear someone yelling. My brains saying, What in the world? No one's supposed to be here.

So I start calling out and finally come to the bathroom hallway. The person is behind the door. Trying to hold back laughter, I unlock the door and open it. A scared woman comes exploding out of it and yells at me. I told her I had done my standard proceedure, but she wouldn't have it and left the library fuming. Of course I started laughing my guts out at that point.

That is why I tell anyone that comes to the library on late days, don't be the last one in the library, you might get locked in.

You got to LOVE Librarian-Hood...

No comments:

Post a Comment