Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Teenagers....

Alright, here is a story worth telling. As a reference librarian not often do I see teenagers. But occasionally, like today, I happened upon one.

As usual, I'm the far corner of our large old library, keeping my head down, and hoping neither assistant, nor patron bothers me with questions. (Most often it works and I get to read and take naps occasionally on slow days.) But alas today wasn't that day.

*SCENE*

"Hey ma'am can you help me?"

For a moment I was confused because it didn't sound like a kid or an adult. So I slide a large stack of books to the side to see who in world is asking me a question. It turns out to be a teenage boy. (Now how many teenagers come to a reference desk, much less a boy? My point exactly.) Strangely enough I was curious and say, "Sure, what's up kid?"

(Alright, I'm not that old, probably about seven years older then him, but tell no one!) Anyhoo, he says, "I'm trying to find a book on how to play the piano."

This nearly sent me falling over in my chair. My brain was yelling at me, Oh my dear lord!!! Did this TEENAGE BOY just ask for me to find him a book on how to play the PIANO?!?!?!

Quickly I reboot my brain, smile, and say, "Of course."

Being the brainiac I try not to be, I don't even have to search for it and have him follow me to where the how-to books are. Showing him the book, he is literally grinning from ear to ear. I felt so proud to have helped this teenage boy, and was very glad to see him in the library till he opened his mouth and said, "Now I'll be able to pick up chick's big time!!!"

You got to love Librarian-Hood...

No comments:

Post a Comment